Thank you for volunteering to be treasurer for your team. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the SAC Finance Director, Sherri Gates, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 410-203-9590, x 2050 or Gina Garcia, Office Staff at email@example.com or at 410-203-9590, x 2065.
So, you’ve been appointed treasurer for your team, now what do you do? Notify the Finance office by email that you are volunteering for the position. A welcome email will be sent to you with guidelines. Please wait for further instructions!
Treasurers Training (Update for 2022-2023 will be forthcoming)
Treasurer’s Training Sessions SAC Policies & Procedures for Treasurers 2021-2022 (PDF)
- In lieu of an in person meeting for 2021-2022, policies and procedures have been shared with treasurers via email
- Budget information has been sent to all treasurers via email
- Question and answer session to be held in mid-August. Coaches and managers are always welcome to attend to obtain extra guidance on SAC financial policies.
2021-2022 Emails to Treasurers
- Submit an email to the SAC Finance office indicating that you have volunteered for the position
- Register on the SAC website as a Treasurer in the Sports Connect system; part of your household account registration; see Volunteer tab
- After obtaining access to Ground.work, Treasurer should verify that all players have registered in Ground.work and submitted their commitment fee payments.
- Request and track payments from players on a scheduled basis using Ground.work. Parents should be informed that all assessments are non-refundable.
- Please ensure that parents are aware that if they use an electronic/written check for payment, the following terms are agreed to by the player/parent: In the event the check is dishonored or returned for any reason, you authorize us to electronically (or by paper draft) re-present the check to your bank account for collection of the amount of the check, plus any applicable fees as permitted by state law.
- Make disbursements for approved budgeted expenditures; keep receipts/documentation for all expenditures
- Ensure that team has adequate funds available for upcoming expenditures
- Keep copies of documentation for all expenditures. Receipts for expenditures $100 or greater that are not generated by SAC will need to be submitted at year-end.
- Tournament Selection Form (due 8/15/2021) -Coaches will be provided access to a Google document to submit to the Director of Coaching for approval. Treasurers will be provided viewing access to approved information.
- Additional Trainer Form (due 8/15/2021)
Budget & Financial Reporting
Budget and Financial Reporting Template for 2021/2022
- Use for budget preparation & to project payment schedule
- Use to submit final team cash inflows/outflows for year
- Use to project future receipts or expenditures and to project future bank balance
- Prepare and submit your team’s Annual Budget (June 1 to May 31) to SAC by August 31st
- Prepare and submit your team’s Year-end Financial Report Package (June 1 to May 31) to SAC with documentation for all expenditures greater than $100 by June 15th
- Use of the Excel Workbook is Mandatory for all treasurers including Budget, Check Register and Financial Report. Documentation may be submitted electronically or by paper. Please share the Budget Summary (once approved) and Budget to Actual reports (at year end) with your team.
SAC Club Fees
- SAC will issue a statement to each team for Annual SAC Club fees by early August once 2021-2022 projected costs are finalized.
- These Club fees will include applicable coaching fees, technical training fees, related payroll fees (FICA/Medicare/Unemployment taxes/processing fees), assistant coach uniform fees, annual MSYSA fees, certain league fees (CMSSL/NCSL), indoor field rental for U8-U13, and other administrative fees for the entire year.
- SAC will be paying these fees direct to the appropriate individuals or organizations for the benefit of the team.
- SAC provides a predetermined schedule for automatic bank transfers from the team checking account to teams.
- It is the responsibility of the treasurer, manager and coach to have these funds available on the scheduled date.
- If a team participates in a different league then originally assigned and the team will be paying for the league fee direct, the final payment for the SAC Club Fee may be adjusted to deduct league fees for the Spring if the original league fees have been included in the SAC Club fee.
2021/2022 Processing Dates for SAC Team Club Fee by ACH Debits:
Field Rentals – SAC
(Covenant Park and some HCPR/Howard County High Schools – if reserved through Sharon Finney)
- Field Rental Reservations are processed and invoiced by Sharon Finney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Field rentals are NOT included in SAC Club fees
- Debit dates may be adjusted to a later date
- Fall Field Rental Reservation Deposits (50%) will be deducted from the team checking account by ACH Debit on or around September 1st
- Fall Field Rental Final Payments (balance) will be deducted from the team checking accountby ACH Debit on November 15th
- Late Fall Field Rental Payments will be deducted from the team checking account by ACH Debit on or around November 30th
- Winter Field Rental Reservation Deposits (50%) will be deducted from the team checking account by ACH Debit on or around December 15th
- Winter Field Rental Final Payments (balance) will be deducted from the team checking account by ACH Debit on or around March 15th
- Spring Field Rental Reservation Deposits (50%) will be deducted from the team checking account by ACH Debit on or around March 15th
- Spring Field Rental Reservation will be deducted from the team checking account by ACH Debit on or around May 25th
- If funds are not available on the due date for the Reservation Deposits, the team may not be permitted to have future field usage
Field Rentals -HCPR/Howard County High Schools
( if reserved directly with HCPR)
- Individuals or teams that reserve fields through HCPR are responsible for
payment of their own permit
- All payments to HCPR should be processed using the team debit card; do NOT use Bill
Pay in Groundwork
- If payment is in excess of $2,000, you may request a temporary increase in the daily limit
- Shared Permits (individual or team shares the permit between multiple teams)
- the individual/team (Team 1) that executes the permit is the team that is responsible to pay
the permit in full
- Other teams using fields on the permit are required to pay the Team 1 for their share of the
permit cost using the Transfer option in Groundwork
- Other teams should NOT pay their portion of the permit to HCPR direct
Groundwork for Team Payments
- All Commitment Fees and Team Fees are collected using an online platform
- No cost to parents for payments via checking account
- Ability to pay funds to team using a debit or credit card; with a fee paid by parent
- Funds available by team within 3 business days
The Soccer Association of Columbia has partnered with Groundwork for paperless, secure and automatic payments. Groundwork provides parents with an easy way to set up automatic payments, view their payment history and receive upcoming payment reminder emails.
FAQ – Groundwork (coming soon!)
FAQ – SAC Finance (2021/2022 updates coming soon!)
- Are coaches reimbursed for mileage?
- How do I calculate assessments for players?
- What is the Travel surcharge on the technical trainer and coach fees?
- Can the team carry a balance forward at the end of the year?
- Can the team reimburse players for unspent funds?
- Can the team pay for coach gifts from team funds?
- What about team expenses and deposits for the upcoming season to be made prior to July 1st?
- Who do I contact regarding field rental billings?
- What bank do the SAC Travel teams use?
- Our team plans to have additional technical or goalkeeper training, how do we pay the trainers?
- Can I reimburse myself for expenses?
- How do I access my team account online?
Are coaches reimbursed for mileage?
- Coach is eligible for mileage reimbursement to and from “out of state” league games or tournaments
- No mileage or parking reimbursement for home games or training sessions
- SAC Sponsorsored/Hosted Tournaments are NOT eligible
- Mileage reimbursement will be calculated based on the current GSA rate from Covenant Park to the destination using MapQuest data
- Mileage reimbursements are processed using team funds by the treasurer
How do I calculate assessments for players?
Project your budgeted expenses on a monthly basis and divide total shared costs by # of players. Project to request funds from team parents at least two weeks in advance. You should have all Fall assessments received early in the season (i.e. by October 15th). You should have all Spring assessments received early in the season (i.e. by March 15th). Remember that the budgets are estimates so if you need to do an additional assessment to cover non-budgeted items or under-budgeted items right before year end, that is okay.
What is the Travel surcharge added on to the technical trainer and coach fees?
The Travel surcharge is a fee charged to teams for payment of the related payroll expenses (FICA, Medicare, Unemployment Taxes and processing fees) applicable to the team trainer or coach assigned to the team.
Can the team carry a balance forward at the end of the year?
See the Excerpts for Travel Team Treasurers link above; go to Appendix II; Section 3Q. Special requests may be submitted to the SAC Finance Director.
Can the team reimburse players for unspent funds?
See the Excerpts for Travel Team Treasurers link above; go to Appendix II; Section 3P. If a budgeted event has been cancelled or does not occur and the team has material excess funds, the treasurer should submit a request to SAC Finance Director for authorization to refund parents. No refunds may be issued without approval from the SAC Finance Director.
Can the team pay for coach gifts from team funds?
Gifts to team coaches or volunteers should be collected outside of assessed team funds. Assessments are NOT to be used for gifts.
What about payment of expenses for the upcoming season-prior to June 1st?
The SAC Travel Team financial accounting period is June 1st through May 31st. To keep the accounting records for each team auditable, teams should not pay any expenses for the upcoming year from current year expenditures. Once the new team bank account is setup and funds are available, the team may begin to make payments.
Whom do I contact regarding field rental billings?
Field rentals are scheduled and billed through Sharon Finney at the SAC office. Field Request Forms can be found under FORMS above. All questions regarding scheduling, cancellations and payments should be made direct to her at email@example.com.
What bank do the SAC Travel teams use?
Teams will perform banking tasks using Groundwork. Groundwork partners with Synapse Bank.
Our team plans to have additional technical or goalkeeper training, how do we pay the trainers?
Teams are REQUIRED to obtain prior approval from the Technical Director using the Additional Training Form. Once form has been approved, the Finance Office will indicate on the form the method of payment.
Can I reimburse myself for expenses?
Treasurers may be reimbursed by team for expenditures paid personally. Treasurers should submit an email request to the SAC Finance office for approval of all reimbursements greater than $100 paid to the treasurer by the team.
How do I access my team account online?
Treasurers will access their team banking using Groundwork. SAC Finance will add the treasurer as a Team Assistant and will send an invitation to join the team in that role.